DAB (Douglas Arts Studio and Gallery)
Douglas Arts Studio Gallery Inc (DAB) is a not for profit community arts organisation.
We are a hub of local artists and crafts people and provide quality opportunities for the whole community to learn, create and exhibit.
Visit the Gallery
The gallery showcases a range of artwork by DAB members, including paintings, drawings, print making, pottery, mosaics, glass fusing & slumping, felting, jewellery and gift cards. The artwork is for sale at affordable prices.
DAB gallery and workshop is located at 11 Mill Street, Mossman.
The gallery is manned by DAB volunteers and opening hours are – Monday to Saturday from 10am to 2pm.
DAB offers a variety of art classes, including tutor-led casual groups, peer support groups, one-off workshops, and courses which are run over a number of weeks.
An outline of the 2017 Semester 1 Program is provided below. Costs for classes vary. For a copy of the Program and full details of the classes, please refer to www.dabmossman.com or visit the gallery.
Weekly classes -
• Printmaking – Mondays 1.00pm to 4.00pm. Use DAB’s press to print etchings or collagraphs; try your hand at mono-prints or lino cuts. This is a peer support group.
• Anything Goes, with Clay – Mondays 5.30pm to 8.30pm. This is a combined casual and peer group. Choose from working under the direction of tutor Ellen Terrell in a different genre each month, or work on your own project. Beginners to advanced.
• Painting, Drawing, Mosaics & More! – Tuesdays 6.00pm to 9.00pm. Tutor Nada Petrasevic will help you with painting, drawing and mosaics. A relaxing evening group for all skill levels.
• Pottery – Wednesdays 9.30am to 12.30pm. Tutor Liz Showniruk will provide instruction and assistance with technique, glazes and all equipment. Suitable for beginners, intermediate and advanced potters.
• CATS (Creativity, Art, Talking!) – Wednesdays 9.30am to 12.30pm. This is DAB’s longest running peer support group, where members bring along a variety of projects to work on, chat and relax!
• Children’s Art in the Back Garden – Wednesdays 3.00pm to 5.00pm (commencing 22 February). Under the guidance of tutor Connie Rossi, children will do clay work, painting, drawing, make dream catchers, sculpture, friendship bracelets, mobiles, wall hangings, beading, mosaics, coloured sand, soap and candles.
• Mosaics – Saturdays 1.30pm to 4.30pm. Get together in DAB’s back garden or shed with other mosaic enthusiasts.
Other classes –
• Urban Sketchers – every second Thursday 9.00am to 12noon, commenced 2 February. Enjoy some sketching out and about in Mossman; draw on location, capturing what you see from direct observation.
• Life Drawing – last Friday of each month 6.00pm to 9.00pm. Enjoy improving your skills drawing the human body in a relaxed atmosphere.
• Felting – second Saturday of each month 9.30am to 12.30pm. Bring along your felting projects to work on.
One-off Courses & Workshops –
• Watercolour – five week course from 31 March to 5 May, Fridays 9.30am to 12.30pm (excludes Good Friday).
• Dream Catcher – two 3 week courses as follows:
First course – 1, 8 and 15 March Wednesdays 6.00pm to 8.00pm
Second course – 3, 10 and 17 May Wednesdays 6.00pm to 8.00pm.
• Felting – five week course from 2 to 30 March, Thursdays 9.30am to 2.30pm.
• Glass Fusing & Slumping – four workshops on Sundays from 9.30am to 12.30pm as follows: 5 March, 23 April, 7 May and 4 June.
Most of the art classes will have a break during school holidays.
Your support makes a difference! Membership is a great way of supporting the services and facilities provided at DAB, as well as receiving newsletters and updates.
DAB membership for 2017 is:
• $30 Adult (non pensioner)
• $20 Pensioner
• $25 Family
• $15 Child (under 18).
For More Information
• Come and see us at 11 Mill Street, Mossman
• Visit our website at – www.dabmossman.com
• Find us on Facebook at – www.facebook/dabmossman
• Phone the gallery on (07) 4098 3337.